Questions to ask anyone:
- Who was the best boss you ever had? What did they do that set them apart from the rest?
- Who stands out around here as a leader? How do they influence you and the rest of the team?
- What makes someone a ‘leader’? Do you have to have a certain job title or position, or can anyone do it?
Questions to ask foremen or front-line leaders:
- Why were you selected for this job? What set you apart from the other candidates?
- What’s your favorite part of this position? Which parts of this job do you love?
- What’s the toughest part of this job? What’s been the toughest lesson to learn?
- What are your strengths as a leader? What do you do especially well?
- What do you want to be better at? Where are you still learning and improving?
- What’s the best way to support a new foreman or supervisor? Was there training or coaching you wish you had? What support was most useful to you?
Questions to ask superintendents or managers who oversee front-line leaders:
- Who is the strongest leader within your team?What sets them apart?
- What do the best front-line leaders do differently?It’s easy to talk about personal qualities and attitudes – but what are the behaviors and habits that make someone a good leader?
- What’s your approach to coaching and mentoring folks on their leadership skills? What’s been your greatest success in developing a leader who works for you?
- What sort of support did you get when you got into supervision – did you get any training or was it ‘sink or swim’?What’s the best way? What can we do to develop the next generation of leaders?
- Which of the folks who work for you should take your place when you move on? What do they still need to learn before they’re ready to take over for you?
- If you had to appoint a new foremen or supervisor today, who would you choose? What do they still need to learn before they’re ready to take that step?
Questions to ask people who report to you:
- Give me some feedback on my leadership.What do I do well – what’s my biggest strength? What are my blind spots, or things I need to do better?
- If you had to guess, what’s most important to me when it comes to work? What’s the thing I really care about at the end of the day? How do you know? How do I demonstrate that?
- How are we doing as a team? What do we need to change to be better / safer?
- In your opinion, who is another supervisor around here who I should learn from?
- What can I do better or more or differently to support you and the team?